Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

Default Ready......Aim......

On Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 12:54:29 PM UTC+2, polymod wrote:
"Angus Kerr" wrote in message
somehow,
between sound check and showtime, the keyboard got left in a semitone up
transposition. Seeing the keys, knowing the notes they should make, and the
ones that were being generated being not what my ear said they should be,
being horrendously dissonant, the askance glances from my fellow musicians
wondering what the hell I was doing........, me the utterly confused
part-time keyboardist trying to figure out why the parts I knew were right
were not working, trying to transpose up a semitone on the fly wondering if
I was going mad...surely what I rehearsed and this is not the same, why am I
out? Amusing in hindsight....

Good one!
My students used to mess with the "pitch adjust" button that was on the back
of a digital we used for lessons and see if I would notice.
For some reason folks without perfect pitch love to mess with us!

Luckily few know about me. If you asked me to sing an A you'll get about 445Hz. Being first instrument violin, I can play at 440 tuning all right but prefer 443Hz, but I really battled recently playing with a pipe organ at about 435, it sounded so flat... I really had to concentrate on keeping my fingers from sharpening back to a more comfortable A. Orchestras like 443 and some even higher at 445. I don't know what they do about piano tuning though.

-Angus