Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Treble in recordings

Ty Ford wrote:
On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 12:33:48 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Actually, I have had pretty good luck playing that PCM F-1 stuff back. The
sound quality is kind of harsh but that's how it was in 1985 too.

It's Exabytes that have been the worst playback nightmare.

I recall Sony changing the formula of the F1 3/4" tapes and later finding that they didn't store well. A lot of stereo master were lost. Don't recall the exact details like what year they changed the formula and how many masters decomposed.

That was PCM1610 format. And if you used 3M tapes, they were fine...