Posted to rec.audio.pro
slinkp slinkp is offline

Default What's this live vocal mic? (Paul McCartney 1976)

Thanks. But it's got a barrel shape and slots ringing the end. Was there ever a 421 like that?
It's more akin to an SM-57 in its basic construction, and I wondered if it was some other Shure model, but I've not found it in some searching of old catalogs and the like.
Nor any AKG, EV, or Beyer that I've found so far...
Here's another photo ...
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...ge-gallery.jpg

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 11:35:02 PM UTC-4, PStamler wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 10:20:38 PM UTC-5, slinkp wrote:
It's familiar from various live acts of the time, and has a distinctive housing, but I've never known what it is:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rt%2C_1976.jpg

Not sure because he has a tendency to wrap his hand around the business end, but Plant may have used the same mic in "The Song Remains the Same":
https://screenmusings.org/movie/dvd/...e-Same-349.jpg

Looks like a Sennheiser MD-421 (the original).