Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] johnnhelen4@gmail.com is offline

Default Replace plate load resistor with plate choke

OK Jim, I found a copy of the schematic. The cct is a variation on something somewhat common with old guys like us back in the day, convert down to the BC band & use an ordinary receiver to do the tuning. I did two of them, one for my old Ford car.

So the front end does a block conversion in this case & the 2nd IF does the tuning, a slick way to get good image rejection. The preselecter completes the job.

Given the cct constants a B+ of 180V seems unlikely, 140-150V is possible. The first filter cap is shewn as 50 microF & is a problem for the PT. The peak currents are limited only by the PT wdg R's. Better stuff in something like 100R in series with the PT HV secondary to limit the peak charging currents. It is the RMS current that heats & kills transformers, not so much steady currents.

I noticed somewhere on line 5W audio mentioned. I think one Watt more likely. Rather then surgery to do a triode output & driver,if there is space there should be some kind of suitable OPT that would improve the sound. Hammond has several designed for SE output. But rather expensive now.

If the NE2H neons are still working keep them in the cct as is. The B+ will be about the same as original, no need to complicate with Zeners. My own experience with zeners as the voltage increases so does the change with temperature. As the zener heats up the voltage drifts with it.

Looks like a very good radio.

Good Luck, John L Stewart