Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default How to improve family room acoustics?

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 21:36:30 -0500, wrote
(in article . com):

Hi!
I have an open architecture house. Family room flows into the kitchen
and into large living room and foyer (two story). In addition the
entire first level has hard floors - hardwood and tile.

My family room has a 42" TV and a home theater system. I would like to
improve the acoustics since the sound echoes even when people talk.
Using microphone for singing echoes even more. I like the modern look
of the open space, but what can I do to improve the acoustics without
compromising the look of the room? I understand that I will not be
able to get a perfect sounding room, but if any noticeable improvements
can be done, I will appreciate your advice.

What are my choices? What would it cost? How much improvement will I
notice?

Any hard wall or ceiling or floor is your enemy. Tapestries, whether folk, or
something more striking will help to reduce wall bounce. Rugs help. Shelving
units with lots of stuff on them help.

Use very directional microphones positioned very close to the sound sources.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at
www.tyford.com