Kelly Dueck

I haven't read any reviews ... whether in RECORDING, AUDIO MEDIA, or
TAPE OP ... that cite any major self-noise issues with the other
models. My Omni's are quiet.

Hey Taylor,

Can you send me one of these omnis?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Hi Ty,

Now let me clarify my last sentence above. What I should have stated
was ... My Omnis are RELATIVELY quiet. Compared to what, you're bound
to ask?

Compared to an AT4040? No. Compared to an MXL603? Yes. Compared to a
similar type of Schoeps product? Almost certainly not, judging by the
posts on this newsgroup. (Though I have never used a Schoeps
microphone, so I can't say for myself.)

However, in the settings in which I have used my mics, they have been
SUFFICIENTLY quiet.

I use my THE omnis almost exclusively in live location recording
situations -- I don't have a great sounding room at home so I stick to
cardioids there. The self noise has not been a problem with the
sources I've recorded with them ... namely string trios, pipe organ
solos, flute/piano duets and jazz quartet (main stereo pair capturing
the whole band, plus individual fill mics). Would I record a quiet
solo celtic harp with them in a quiet room? Ideally, no. However, I
would likely end up having to since I don't have any other small
diaphragm Omni's, and I'm fond of simple stereo recording.

I know you are one of this group's toughest critics, when it comes to
noise specs. It also sounds like you have a very quiet studio. I also
know the excuse ... "Most people will never listen to the finished
product in a really quiet listening room anyway, so what difference
does a little self-noise make?" ... won't cut the mustard with you,
either. For this you should be thanked loudly and regularly -- as a
professional product reviewer it's your job to do all you can to help
keep junk off the market and out of the hands of unwitting dupes.

However, for my money ... and the level of projects I record (I have
no illusions I, or any of my clients, will ever win a grammy) my THE's
do just fine. They may not meet your needs, I don't know

By the way ... have you tried out the AT4040?

Regards,

Kelly