Bryan Beasleigh

Kelly
I'm very glad that you're happy with the THE omni's. My problem was
with the hypercardoid only

I found the self noise so offensive that I went out and spent more
than double on a Schoeps CMC6 with MK41 capsule. I'm ordering another
preamp and capsule this week. Spending $1600 per schoeps rather than
$800 (Can$)can not be excuses as simple sour grapes.

Say hi to Sean

On 21 Jun 2004 15:50:27 -0700, (Kelly Dueck) wrote:

I've never tried the Hypercard capsule but I own a matched set
(Thanks, Taylor) of the KR-1F (free-field) omnis.

I use my T.H.E.'s for location recording -- usually in a baffled omni
configuration. I run them through an Amek 9098 dual mic pre (Ty Ford
has written highly of the single channel/EQ version of this pre). No
self-noise issues with these mics. (In live settings I'm far more
worried about ambient noise than self-noise, anyway.)

IMHO my T.H.E.s with the KR-1F capsules are excellent microphones --
at any price. One can make very good recordings with these
microphones. Given all the other possible variables that influence the
outcome of a given recording session -- from instruments, to pre-amps,
to acoustics, to the mood of the perfomers on a given day -- one
should be careful about making blanket statements about T.H.E. vs.
Schoeps.

I can't say whether the Hypercard configuration is noisy but I hope
T.H.E. products as a whole aren't being unfairly written off. Try the
KR-1Fs and you will think highly of what T.H.E. is trying to do as a
company.

Kelly Dueck
Winnipeg