Ty Ford

I'd ask for proof. Side by side recordings made with the each mic run
through the same mic preamps, preferrably something along the lines of
Martech MSS-10, with matched gain structures in a very quiet acoustic
space. I'd be willing to bet T.H.E. mics would have noticeably more
self noise apparent on low SPL passages. I've made some recordings
following this method with gains matched via a B&K mic calibrator. The
differences are not necessarily subtle. If anyone is interested, I
have one comparison readily available between a Schoeps CMC62 and an
Audix TR40 to demonstrate an extreme. I think the TR-40 is a great
omni at it's price point. Pay the extra and you get a stellar omni
with much less self noise with the CMC62.

bobs

bob smith
bs studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

I have the proof on my hard drive; the recordings I made here. Selfnoise is
an issue.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Well now! Bob and I swapped sound files from presumably different THE hypers
and Schoeps cmc641. If the selfnoise problems of a single THE was a fluke,
there are now two flukes; three if you count Bryan's

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford