Arny Krueger

"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message

wrote in message

ups.com...

I've seen ATS-1's go in the threes on eBay, and a desktop

PC
with a first rate sound card is a thousand bucks even

today,
times two-we're not an order of magnitude apart.

So why not compare to a S/H PC? A couple of hundred for a

PC
and a couple of hundred for a pro soundcard, will do the

job.
Software is another matter though, but there is reasonable
freeware available, adequate for many people.

The beauty of the PC option is that it can do the same job

as
a number of test instruments, plus automatic data

acquisition,
plus data analysis, plus data storage and presentation

etc.

Yes dedicated instruments have their benefits, but even

multi
million dollar test labs are full of PC's as well, and

have
been for decades.

For example, Dolby Labs is said to own 100's of PC equipped
with Card Deluxe audio interfaces.

You've got to remember that Cal's mind is locked in the
1960s, right down to his proud ownership of Klipsch La
Scalas as his primary high end speaker system.