Mark Zarella

Default Installers are you and I

John...I agree with you, that I agree with Ed. I think there are plenty
of
good installers in my area. People who take the time to understand a
problem
and give it a long term solution. There are so many things about working

on
cars that people just don't understand. It's not easy.

Mark....you have a great sense of this industry. I have read ten's of
posts from you that correct and helpful. but.....
As an "outside observer" looking in from a customer's point of view,

that being said, you need to remember that you don't know the entire
story. I would bet none of us do, in regards to the original post.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. But from what we do know, it
doesn't look too favorable for the installer. And I'm not having a
difficult time believing that the poster is telling it like it is, because
I've seen this sort of thing way too many times.

I just don't see the expertise and dedication to putting out quality

work
that I saw, say, 5 or 10 years ago.

Here, with this statement I agree with you. The education level has
decreased, car technology has greatly increased, profits have disappeared
from the industry, the OEM systems are vastly improved. All of these
factors have lead to people not getting paid enough to have a level
of education and customer service that most people demand. The only
way for a service industry to survive is by making money. I think its
really that simple. Without paying a decent amount, the employee
behind the counter can't earn a living, and he wont give a damn about
your car. Or learn new things. He will get another job, and let the
next 17 year old fill his position.

Good analysis. I have no data to support it, but I suspect turnover rate
has increased over recent years.