Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Default Recording in a Remote(ish) Area

sav wrote:
Hi, Sometime before the end of this year we will have the opportunity to
go to an island in the Pacific, with the purpose of making decent
recordings of the local music. I have many questions because it is about
25 years since I did any studio recording and about 15 years since I
stopped mixing live gigs.

I hate to try to give advice to someone who starts out a posting like
that, but I didn't want you to feel like you were being ignored.

A combination of budget
restrictions, portability and power restrictions made me think something
like a Korg D32XD might be the best compromise.

That's a pretty cool gadget, but whether it would be what you need
depends a whole lot on what you'll be recording. I don't expect that
you're going to be doing much in the way of studio recording there -
you might dedicate a hut for working, but you aren't likely to get
people who will be overdubbing parts. Until you start expanding it, the
DX32XD is only an 8-track recorder. While it might be convenient to
record a group with 8 mics and separate tracks, this is overkill for
that. The other risk is that everything is all in one box and if
anything fails, there's a pretty good chance that you'll be out of
business. I doubt that your budget will allow you to carry a spare.

If you plan to live there for a few years, set up a production
facility, and do all the work over there, that's a justification for a
full-out workstation like this (though I'd still recommend having a
spare). But if you're going to do field collecting, bring your
recordings home, and do the busy work under more controlled conditions,
I think it would be a waste and a risk.

What else have you looked at, and have you considered using a laptop
computer for your basic recorder? That's something that you can scale
to the size of the project, and laptop comptuers are cheap enough so
that you can carry a spare.

Would a round design be good acoustically? I think there
are advantages to it.

Both advanatages and disadvantages. It's all workable.