Kalman Rubinson

Default Hi-fi, High-end and Multi-channel reproduction

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:02:14 GMT, "Uptown Audio"
wrote:

Giving that some thought; wouldn't it make sense then that sound
engineers seem to be lacking in the ability to create a true 3D sound
reproduction in that they are using too many source mikes and not a
pair (as in your ears) and letting the hall acoustic create it's own
3D effect (as in your analogy of multiple unlimited actually sources
of sound)? Would you then suggest that a concert could not be fully
enjoyed by a person with only two ears or that two acurate recording
devices would not best mimick that experience? What I am saying is
that regardless of how many points in space sound may eminate from, it
is perceived by only two receptors.

This is an oversimplification. YOur two ears, including external,
middle and internal portions, plus your brain can interpret 3D sound
in the real world because they are getting 3D sound. You cannot
record 3D sound (not a good term but I quote it from you) with only
two receptor sets unless you add a brain (as does, to a degree, the
Soundfield Mike). Give the human system 2 sources and it cannot
interpret (accurately) what the 3D original was.

Kal