Posted to rec.audio.pro
need4mospd need4mospd is offline

Default Blown power amp channel?

I was wondering what kind of damage was caused to my amp and if it's
worth trying to fix it. I accidentally used a 1+/1- speakon
cable(wrong one) on my Crest CC1800 with the switch in bridged mode.
Now the amp will cut off channel A when the input gets too high. By
cut off, I mean the ACL(Automatic Clip Limiter) lights up and the
sound is completely stopped, then it returns to normal after a few
seconds. Channel B works fine for now. Bridged mode acts similar to
channel A. Also channel A works normally under a very small load for
at least an hour or more, but I need to get more volume or else this
is useless to me.

Is this amp pretty much toast on channel A? Or is this a simple easy
fix at my nearest service center?

Other info that may be important....
This is a part of a bass rig. Ampeg tube preamp, maybe the preamp's
output is too hot? 4 ohm speaker cabinet. And yes, I learned my lesson
on speaker cables.