Posted to rec.audio.car
Rick Brandt

Default Center Channel Speakers

MOSFET wrote:
I remember back in the day...around the early 90's, when center
channels were REALLY, REALLY popular, I knew several people who used
4" MB Quart coaxials (because these were the best coaxials you could
buy at the time) and would just mount them right on their dash
wherever they could find room. A couple of guys actually used squares
of carpeting as a mounting platform. As I recall, ALL of these
approaches always looked REALLY ugly. I must tell you, I was
relieved when the center-channel craze ended and I no longer had to
worry about it. Well, it's back, and now there is actually a REALLY
good reason for it (Dolby Digital).
Let's face it, in most cars it is hard to build a good sounding AND
attractive center chanel.

MOSFET

I built a center channel unit with a small wooden enclosure, 2 2-1/2 inch
infinity coaxials (disabled the tweeters) and then just have this sitting on my
dash on top of one of those sticky rubber mats that are meant to keep your
sunglasses from moving as you drive. You wouldn't believe how secure one of
those things are.

I drive a Dodge Stealth and I'm sure subject this thing to more g-forces than
the average driver and in two years it has never budged. If I decide to get rid
of it I just pick it up and pull the wires out of the crack at the front of the
dashboard.

I originally tried the mat as a temporary mount since I wasn't sure that I was
going to like how the center speaker sounded. It held in place so good I just
left it that way.