Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default MOSFET output stage

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio amp output driver?

Because you believe they will.

Because they CAN. By a country mile. But all people want today is cheap. And
if they want esoteric they want the high distortion of tubes instead of
ultra-low THD of well-engineered mosfet amps.

And just to complicate an already messy thread, vacuum valves
can easily have lower intrinsic distortion than any modern
device. Lots of other issues, of course, but transfer curves
with exponents below 1.05 were delivered before we were born.
Before they could even be measured, in fact.

But as you say, all people want today is cheap, and there
are cheaper ways of delivering a finished product of low
distortion than using devices of highest intrinsic linearity.

Your attempts to keep the discussion focussed on the small
end of signal level are admirable. Too many folks make too
many assumptions of monotonicity that aren't (ever!, actually)
true.

Thanks for your comments Chris. I consider the small signal area vitally
important, since in practive most listening is done there.

Another cute little twist is that AIUI (it was reported to me by a Singapore
distributor) is that the classic QSC grounded collector circuit has a low level
montonicity problem due to the voltage gain of the out darlington output
arrangement 'jumping' as the large devices turn on (they're normally off).

Graham