Stewart Pinkerton

On 19 Jul 2005 00:44:29 GMT, Jenn wrote:

In article , Chung
wrote:

An
interesting note (and again, I admit that I know little about the
technology), is that the LP lists its sampling rate as 50,000 samples
per second.

CD has a sampling rate of 44.1 KHz.

Yes, of course. Even **I** know that! :-)

Assuming your information is
correct,

It is what is stated on the record jacket, and what Tom Stockham was
saying at the sessions.

a sampling rate conversion is performed to produce the CD. It
is straightforward to perform a sampling rate conversion with no changes
in attributes like tonal balance, etc., that people notice in LP vs CD
comparisons.

OK. I found it interesting that the sampling rate was higher on the LP
than it is on CD. I wonder if that was common with the early digital
LPs.

Yes, as they mostly used the Soundstream system, which had a 50k
sampling rate. The 44.1k rate of CD was chosen because it fits neatly
with the line rate of a video recorder, and early PCM audio recorders
were converted video recorders.

Very few have suggested that this rate difference is audible in
practice, particularly given all the other degradations inherent to
the LP process.