Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Zoom 4H digital recorder

henrytj wrote:

I have read on other forums where audio-philes state that they hear
pre-amp noise from almost all lesser-expense equipment.

Generally these recorders are engineered to sound best with their
built-in microphones. I can say that for sure about the Zoom H2. With
an external mic, you have to push the gain up so far that you get a
rather poor signal-to-noise ratio when using the mic input. This is
consistent with what Brad Linder talks about in his report.

However, with the built-in mics, its performance is better than one
can expect for the money. As to whether it will be good enough for
a "low budget" production, well, low budget shouldn't automatically
mean poor quality. If you're going to use an external mic, which I
assume you are since you're talking pseudo fishpole, use a preamp
with it, even an inexpensive mixer, and connect it to the recorder's
line input. That's doing "low budget" right.

me he
)