Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis Jay Kadis is offline

Default Zoom 4H digital recorder

In article
,
henrytj wrote:

I have been helping on some no-budget movie projects. Although, like
everyone else, I would love to do camera, DP, ect. But the audio seems
rather open. Some of the productions that I have helped with use the
on camera mic. So I have gotten together with some friends and we have
put together a kit (shotgut mic, painter pole converted to a boom
pole, a lavaliere mic. I am considering getting a Zoom H4 to add to
the kit for recording when I can't be cabled to the camera (like in a
shot with a moving camera.) Yes, I read that the H4, and other under
$1000 recorders have noise problems, but still this must be better
that using the on camera mic. Also the H4 looks to be on clearance
sale ($219 at B&H) as the next model seems to be out (H4N).

Anyway, anyone have experience using the Zoom H4 for low budget movie
work that they would like to provide?

Thank you,
Henry

The newer H4n has improved the preamplifier noise floor quite a bit over
the older H4.

There's a comparison of the H4s and the Sony PCM-D50 at:

http://www.bradlinder.net/2009/03/te...ony-pcm-d50.ht
ml

-Jay