Ruud Broens

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
: NewYorkDave wrote:
: I apologize for not providing more detail in my original post. I'll
: try to give a clearer explanation of what I'm trying to do. I have
: only a few minutes left in my lunch hour, but I'll try to put it to
: good use
:
: I record music on an 8-track multitrack recorder, and I want to build
: a tube mixing console to take the place of the IC-based model I've
: been using. My goal is to achieve a clearer sound (due to a simpler
: circuit with fewer active stages)
:
: This is an old wife's tale, i.e. a complete and utter nonsense argument.
: Less parts do *not* mean a clearer sound. Indeed, more stages mean you
: can have less gain per stage allowing for more feedback at each stage
: which reduces the distortion tremendously.

Hm, Kevin, that's rather oversimplifying things there, isn't it ?
Sure, with a couple of BB OPA 2604's you can build a mixing desk
at least an order cheaper than with tubes and anything more than
4 channels fully tubed must be called an *investment* rather than
an experiment.
That said, perceived sonic qualities of a circuit and THD measurements
only have a marginal correlation, therefore THD is *not* indicative for
the sound quality, still a largely intangible, only a starting point.
But then, many a thousand pro-tube processing and mixing gear
must be bought by fools... ?
Rudy

: and perhaps some of that intangible
: "tube warmth."
:
: This where a dirty sound sounds better.
:
: However, I'm not looking to build a "distortion
: device"... The tube consoles that were used to track the records we
: all love from the '50s and '60s were designed to be as linear as
: possible within the limits of the technology of the day, and any
: euphonic qualities added were incidental. It's not clear to me whether
: that sound really came from the tubesand transformers or from the more
: straightforward topologies, anyway. In a modern mixing console, a
: signal may pass through tens of IC amplifiers on its way from input to
: output.
:
: So bloody what. A decent modern console uses op-amps with 0.005% thd
: and imd. It makes no practical difference whether there are quite a few
: in series, especially as explianed above. A final spec of a decent
: console is easily 0.01%, 1db flat from 20Hz to 40khz.
:
: You are suffering from a severe "golden ears" delusion.
:
: Kevin Aylward
:
:
http://www.anasoft.co.uk
: SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
: Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
: Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.
:
: http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html
:
: Understanding, is itself an emotion, i.e. a feeling.
: Emotions or feelings can only be "understood" by
: consciousness. "Understanding" consciousness can
: therefore only be understood by consciousness itself,
: therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness, is
: intrinsically unsolvable.
:
: Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
: understanding of the parts of a system can
: explain all aspects of the whole of such system.
:
: