Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

Default The end of R.A.H-E

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 9:32:42 AM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 6:15:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 12:57:52 PM UTC-4, Peter Wieck wrote:

Sure there are things that are exceedingly difficult to measure,
possibly not at all, that do affect sound from audio sources.

Actually, I have NEVER encountered a case where, when a verifiable,
repeatable audible difference was demonstrated,t there was not a
large, repeatable difference in measurement.

Nor would I dispute that if it were the same thing to all people.

How does that follow from what I said? I never claimed that a given
set of measurement data has the same result on all people (presuming
that's what you meant). Different people have different preferences,
sensitivity, biases and "training", unintended and otherwise (perhaps
better characterized as long-term acclimitization). Therefore, that
their reactions are different is not the least surprising.

But, there is some sort of something that makes me uncomfortable
when listening that I cannot point out except by the lack of
comfort. Sounds good, seems good, but after some period of time
usually less than 3 hours, more than 1 hour with variations, I
can no longer sit still.

I like Sibelius, a lot. But, there is some sort of something that
makes me uncomfortable that I cannot point out except by lack of
comfort when I am listening to the Sibelius violin concerto. Sounds
good, seems good, but after a period of time, usually less than 3
minutes, I can no longer sit still.

But back to the topic at hand. It seems you're implying that there
is something uniquely unmeasurable in your case that you're detecting
by listening. Yes, I'd bet good money you ARE perceiving something,
but I'd also bet that there are measurable differences, probably more
than might account for the difference you are perceiving.

Dick Pierce