Steve Cohn

Default Recommend crossover capacitors, values?

Thanks for the reply.

"Bruno Putzeys" wrote:

It's unlikely that the film caps were added to increase
the value of the electrolytics appreciably... It's done
in a bid to combine the quality of the film cap with the
capacitance of the electrolytic.

Yes, that's what I understood, though perhaps I didn't express it well.
Most of the film caps are 5 mfd. Then they're added together, or
combined with electrolytics, to reach the desired value.

It's not unusual for an electrolytic to sound better
alone than with an extra film cap on top.

Really? That's interesting. I'll have to experiment.

Intertechnik (http://www.intertechnik.de/) sells "audyn"
branded film caps up to rather large values. Very decent
sounding parts.

I don't speak enough German to navigate this site. Do you know of a US
distributor who might carry them?

Thanks again.

--
Steve Cohn