Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

Hi Mike: I agree with your views. However, the original question was
asked to find out if maybe there is some sort of waxy corrosion
protection that can be removed so the cable can be put to good use.

A waxy coating over green, corroded copper requires at least two steps.
First you get rid of the waxy coating with a solvent, probably
petroleum-distillate based, and then you get rid of the corrosion on the
copper with fine sandpaper (150 grit or so).

Seems like a lot of work given that when you're all done, you have an old
mic cable that might also be stiffening up.

If that would be mistaken for corrosion it would be a waste to throw
the cable away. If it IS corrosion, I have no qualms about buying
new. Thanks for your comments.

Given what good mic cable costs, when in doubt, just buy new.