Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default The $5 preamp Urban Legend

drichard wrote:

I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be possible for you
to tell me the focus of the article? The title "The $5 preamp Urban
Legend" doesn't help me much, other than to tell me it has something
to do with preamps.

In the article, Paul describes the other costs involved in
making a $5 IC into a serviceable box that has a mic input
on one side and a line output on the other - connectors,
box, power supply, pots, switches, transformers, and other
miscellaneous components. It all comes out to be a bit over
$500 as he analyzed it, and he did his usual excellent job
of putting on the hat of a designer and manufacturer and
looking at all the little things that people who say "it's a
simple construction project" don't talk about.

of audio." - John Watkinson