Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default [OT] Adding volume control to electronic device

On 1/11/2021 1:04 PM, Tobiah wrote:
So how would I wire it?Â* Would I just use pins 1 and 2 to put
the pot inline on one of the speaker leads?Â* Does it matter
which side of the speaker?Â* I seems that I could also short both
leads through pins 2 and 3 so that the signal tends to bypass
the speaker completely.Â* Or maybe there is a way to use all three
pins to somehow make the signal path a more constant resistance.

I thought I wrote a reply to this a few days ago. Maybe you're just
ignoring me, or it was my attempt at drawing a schematic using the
keyboard that didn't look right.

Depends on what you consider pins 1 and 2 (I assume you're talking about
the pot here), but I don't think you have it right anyway. The usual
hookup is as a voltage divider, with the two ends of the pot (pins 1 and
3 in your language) connected across the output that feeds the speaker,
and the speaker connected between the wiper ( pin 2 - the one in the
center) and pin 1.

Depending on the impedance of the loudspeaker, you'd probably want a
fairly low value pot, 1000 ohms or so. Or if you have an electronics
parts drawer or junk box, you could just try a fixed resistor in series
with either speaker lead. Start with 100 ohms. If it's still too loud,
use a higher value, if it's too quiet try a lower value. But if you want
it to be adjustable, then a pot is the way to go.

^
[2]