Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mat Nieuwenhoven Mat Nieuwenhoven is offline

Default Building a very low noise cable

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 01:26:41 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Mat Nieuwenhoven wrote:

======================

** Purely for test purposes - try de-earthing your PC from the AC supply ground.

Just a test - don't leave it that way .........

But not if the PC is connected via shielded CAT cable: the PC ground
(and the cable shield) will get noticable voltages from the AC filters
in the PC, and it might damage equipment on the other side of the
cable.

** Line filters are required to meet standards for ground leakage.
Got any idea what current level that is ?
How does it compare to ground loop currents?

FYI: MOVs must not connect to ground in an appliance.

It's not the current but the voltage. I've seen a PC working
intermittently and finally damaged because it was connected to an
ungrounded wall socket, but connected via shielded cat5 to another PC
which was grounded. Took me a while to figure the cause out. Then
connected it via a short piece of unshielded, and all was fine.

Mat Nieuwenhoven