Posted to rec.audio.pro
Liz Tuddenham Liz Tuddenham is offline

Default 1990 remastering of 1942 recording - was noise reduction this good in 1990?

wrote:

Re-release of an iconic Tommy Dorsey recording from 1942. Maybe my
awareness is faulty - they weren't making tape masters in 1942 were they?

I'm blown away by how noise-free this re-release is. This was originally
released on 78. I didn't think noise reduction was this good in 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgiHzCiB5Aw

If the metalwork survives, it is a trivial matter to re-press a copy on
vinyl or grow a new metal 'mother' and play that. The noise level of
shellac pressngs was caused by the slate filler material but the
original master would have had a much better S/N ratio than tape -
probably only limited by the noise level of the studio equipment.

If you can get back to a copy without noise, you don't need noise
reduction and all the horrible artefacts it creates.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk