Posted to rec.audio.tubes
patrick-turner patrick-turner is offline

Default How many tubes do I need?

On Monday, 11 February 2013 05:51:12 UTC+11, Don Pearce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 09:42:18 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute wrote: On Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:04:38 PM UTC, Don Pearce wrote: On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 13:50:59 -0500, wrote: You need 282,000 plus the square of the number of tubes in an ENIGMA machine. No tubes in an Enigma machine, so just the 282,000? d He may mean COLOSSUS. Tommy Flowers didn't put any tubes in that either. All English, so they were definitely valves. d

Asking how many tubes to build a computer to do all that can be done on a computer is like asking how many flowers do you need to celebrate one's death if you are infinitely important, where importance is measured in terms of how many flowers one gets brought by those still living at your funeral. Well, I'm hoping nobody will waste time & money on my funeral, and so I should leave my body to medical science, and, I get one chance for some ******* to say, with scalpel in hand, gleam in eye, "Hey Joe, here's a real nice lookin corpse..." All scientific, so there were definately no flowers.

But I made a nice discrete transistor op-amp last week, and used it to make
a square wave gene which gave me 9.4Vpk-pk, 100 to 460kHz waves, with rise time of 0.158uS, ie, 59V/uS. Then I read where there are a large number of op-amps around capable of up to around 6,000V/uS. But I can't buy any of these hi-falooting op-amps locally, so I just used what's accumulated in my junk boxes, 2n2222 and BC327 and BC337....

I guess this was easier than using tubes, valves, or even flowers.

Patrick Turner.