Charles Tomaras

Default When did home theater take over?

"Bob-Stanton" wrote in message
om...
(chexxon) wrote in message

. com...
(Bob-Stanton) wrote in message
. com...

I added three channels to my old sterio system. The right and left of
the sterio are now the right and left channels of the 5 channel movie
system.

Is it possible to do this with a 2-channel receiver, or would I have
to buy a new 5.1-channel receiver? I actually may already have the
".1" channel BTW, since my receiver has a level control for
subwoofers.

* Chexxon

I bougth a DVD player that had 5.1 channels output.(Toshiba) When
watching a movie, the right and left channels are switched to the old
sterio preamp high level inputs. The center channel from the DVD
player is switched to the external audio input of the TV set. The TV
speakers make a very good (voice) center channel.

Someone had given me a set of powered, small speakers, from a
computer. At first I had no use for them and they stayed under my bed
for a year. Latter I pulled them out, and connected them as the rear
two channels. What surprised me was how good the (cheap) rear speakers
sound when the front channels are playing.

I had two old KLH woofers and an old Radio Shack SA-150 amplifier. I
connected them as the subwoofer. DVD 0.5 channel.

I needed to buy a four-way audio-video switch from the Shack and had
to build a two-way audio switch for the center channel. (TV set input)

Seting levels is a problem. I balanced the five channels and put
pencel marks on the face of the volume controls. To change the levels,
I put the controls to the right pencel marks.

Bob Stanton

With the cost of a new or refurbished 5.1 receiver on
www.ecost.com and a
variety of other sites hovering around $300 one has to ask the
question....why would you go to all this trouble?