Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:49:01 GMT, "Fabio Berutti"
wrote:

a question posed by Mr. Turner about my new LS is now puzzling me: what kind
of stuff is needed to test a loudspeaker? Is it possible to do it with some
VERY cheap microphone and the sound card included in any PC? I don't want
to spend a lot of $ in Bruel&Kjaer professional testing equipments....

I can recommend WinAIRR, available from AudioXpress in the US for
about $50. Others have mentioned several suitable microphones.

Speaker testing at home is done in two bands; low frequencies
are tested with a microphone in the very-near-field. Above a
few hundred Hz, time-sampled measurements, using impulses, or
noise that's shaped to have the mathematical characteristics of
impulses, are manipulated by computer program to derive all
kinds of cool info.

Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck