Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Anything you think was consistently done better in the past in the pro/commercial recording world than how it's done today?

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 26/08/2020 2:54 pm, geoff wrote:

Recording technology is certainly at its zenith - one can achieve
whatever one wants, for better or for worse, and
recording/production/delivery is nearer to the actual acoustic (where
appropriate) that ever in the past.

I would agree, but I know plenty of people still argue tape is better
than digital. Or valve amps are superior to solid state (and not just
guitar amps) Or vinyl is better than CD. Or classic mics are superior
etc. So I'm sure you could have an endless debate with those people if
that's what you are after. These people simply don't get the difference
between *personal preference*, artistic *choices*, and actual
superiority of performance.

But that's WHY recording technology is at its zenith... there are more
choices than ever before. You want something that sounds like tape,
that's great because you have a bunch of tape formulations to choose
from. If you want something completely clean, we finally have digital
converters that can do that. Want to make an acoustic disc? Sure, we
can do that. Whatever is appropriate to the music, we have plenty of
production methods and systems to choose from.