Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH [email protected] mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH ME@scs.uiuc.edu is offline

Default Vinyl colorations, inherent, euphonic and inherent euphonic.

Rob Tweed wrote:

The "problem" with digital is that once you have the signal digitised,
the reading of that signal is always going to be perfect - you can't
do anything to improve it. So it's a technically solvable problem
which can no longer be tinkered with to improve.

Well, sort of. OF COURSE it can be tinkered with, I myself do
extensive tinkering. First, you can play with the frequency response.
One of the "euphonic colorations" of some phono cartridges is
unflat frequency response. That can easily be faked, digitally.
You can also play with the dynamic range of a recording, if you wish.
You can decrease or increase it. In fact, I (not, admittedly, you, unless
you ask me for a copy of my program) can volume compress it in a far
better manner that the usual commercial process. And, in fact,
for my iPod I do just that, since I wear it while walking outdoors
in somewhat noisy areas.

Doug McDonald