Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jack[_11_] Jack[_11_] is offline

Default Troubleshooting Pioneer SX-838 receiver - ouch

Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 17:55:10 -0700, Jack wrote:

Left channel just bugged out again... waaah

TIGHT! speaker post connections. RCA plug? THAT is the problem.

Otherwise, you need to make SOLID connections.

Oxidation on mechanical connections is usually the culprit.

Then Caps and things. Look at the connections first.

Or you could just buy a modern Pioneer for cheap. Even their upper
crust stuff ain't all that expensive.

Visit some garage sales!

Hi Chief, the problem is in the main amp section, of that I'm fairly
certain. I ruled out speakers for that left-channel-cutting-out problem
long ago. However, speakers WERE the problem for the loss of treble I
posted about earlier, but it was not loose connections. I was using some
humongous White Van speakers I bought used for $20 a while back. I
mainly use them stacked to support one end of a pull-up bar. One seems
to be not as trebly as the other. But with the system hooked up to some
good Kliptsch speakers both channels are singing beautifully. While
playing a 100 Hz tone, all AC voltages read consistent from left to
right after changing some electrolytic caps and intermediate stage
transistors that had inconsistent readings earlier. I swapped the output
transistors from left to right. Maybe reseating them might have solved
the problem, only time will tell. At the moment both channels are
singing. The receiver is open, top and bottom and sitting on one end and
that is how it will stay for the next week or two. But I'm pretty sure
that no matter how long I wait, the problem won't occur again until I
button it up.

It's not so much that I need this receiver. It's that I feel challenged
by the problem.

Jack