Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

hank alrich wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
hank alrich wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Paul Stamler wrote:

I don't know what opamp Jim Williams substitutes for the 301 in that
modification, but I bet the choice was non-trivial..

I doubt it. Not with the modern devices to hand.

That's talk. Jim actually works on the mics. Give it a go and see what
you find.

How much do you know about MODERN semiconductor devices and ICs ?

Most of this stuff is TRIVIALLY SIMPLE now.

The idea that it's some difficult task to find a better device then an
LM301 simply shows that the person suggesting such an idea is DECADES out
of date with modern practice.

What I know about it comes directly from using stock C460's alongside
C460's modified by Audio Upgrades. If it's trivial you should have no
trouble demonstrating that - but not by talking about it, by doing it.

The idea that it is trivial is your own. Back it up.

I have no doubt that the 'improved' C460s perform better than the factory
originals. The information supplied here suggests various ways in which this may
be achieved.

Where I take task with you is that some 'genius' is required to achieve this. I
say it's simply a question of good design principles, not some Lordy Lordy
personal influence from some alleged GURU..

In my book it would simply be a case of using scientific / technical 'good
practice' to get the required result.

Graham