GregS

In article , "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Carl Valle" wrote in message
om
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
wrote in message

roups.com

It sounds like it would be much easier if you were back

in
the
70's, with all those spectrum analyzers that were
available
back then.

Just because they aren't in the same form as they were

then,
doesn't mean that they don't exist.

They came with a mic, and with pink noise or warble

tones,
you
could get a rough look at what your looking for.

Modern stuff does more and has far higher resolution.

Much
of it is computer-based.

You won't need much resolution since the damn speakers

have no
midrange or treble.

That makes no sense at all. If speakers have response
problems, we need our ears and our test equipment to
determine what the problem is. Bad speakers aren't a
justification for having poor test equipment.

I can get pretty good generalized response curves off my

old
Audio Control and its cheap measurement mic.

You get something, but how accurate is it?

Here's an independent critical look at the Audio Control
RTA:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...equalizer.html

"For one thing, a simple spectrum analyzer cannot capture
information in the time domain, and therefore cannot
differentiate between direct sound and reflected sound. So,
what the spectrum analyzer shows is the average of the two.
Because of this, if adjusted solely by the RTA, an EQ alters
both the direct and indirect sound so that the two sum flat,
although neither may be so individually. Human hearing works
in a much more complex manner, so that although we may not
hear the two (direct and indirect sound) as distinctly
separate in most home environments, altering one to correct
the other won't always work very well. One of the best

cut

This is all very interesting. I suppose one could go on and on
about measuring speakers and also comparing this to listening
to speakers. I do know delayed sound is not as loud to
the ear,. Perhaps that sort of diminishes its importance in
measuring response.

I have used my trusty cheap BSR display unit with remarkable results
over time. I have come to trust its readings for the most part,
except for the lowest and highest frequency ranges. Even if its off,
its interesting to compare different responses of various
speakers.

greg