Tim Martin

"Pink_isn't_well" wrote in message
wrote on Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:32:59 GMT in
rec.audio.tech:

Fifth problem: such a display yells you nothing about frequency
response. Assuming the data you recorded is useable, a linear
display of amplitude is next to useless.

Any free software I can use to open my waves and have them on a dB
scale?

You may have got some suitable software with your sound card. Otherwise,
you can download Goldwave - it's not free, but you can use it first and
decide whether to pay later.

You can also use Goldwave to generate test signals. The test signal you are
using starts with a lot of LF sound, from 20Hz to 40Hz, which is below the
LF range of your speakers,

You will have a problem with the microphone ... most microphones are
designed to be less responsive to low frequencies below about 70Hz, and I
believe it's the LF region you are most concerned with..

You have another problem with the microphone, in that it won't have a flat
response in the mid-and HF region. Again, most microphones are deliberately
designed that way.

What you could try is measure your speakers, measure another pair which you
think sound normal, and compare the results. If your speakers are
over-responsive in part of the frequency range, this might help show where.

Anyway, it's well worth doing, because it's fun and educational..

Tim