Sander deWaal

Chris Morriss said:

can the OPTīs from a tube amp be damaged if:
I use the 16 ohms tap and connect 4 ohm speakers?

The tubes could be damaged, or at least one can expect a limited life
span.

What's the mechanism for this? I started audio in the tube era, ca 1963,
and no one I know worried about this. However, tubes were cheap.

I would say that you are more likely to damage the amp by using a 16R
speaker on the 4R tap, as this is going to cause larger than expected
voltage swings at the anodes.

But that would still be more or less controlled.
A lower load would result in too much dissipation, especially in g2.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy