shiva

"Adam" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a 0.47uF Pyramid PIO vit. Q type caps but with one loosed lead
which connect to the aluminium casing. I have tried to solder the lead
back but what happen is there are some oil flowing out and become wax
once the solder cold down. After testing the cap with a digital
multimeter, the cap give me 1.14 uF instead 0.47uF. What's going on ?
Does the cap spoilt ?

Regards!
ADAM

Sure is. The thing is, Sprague Vit. Q's have no exposed aluminum case
(epoxy or something on both ends with center leads), and ... you can't
solder to aluminum - there are all kinds of ways of attaching leads to
aluminum cases (of *electrolytic* caps), all of them bein' pretty much
mechanical (crimping, spin welding (not true spin welding, more like
friction binding), even pseudo - spot welding, but soldering doesn't work.
Anyhow, this just a pedantic tangent, since it doesn't apply to the Vit. Q.
you've clobbered (if it was a vit Q).
If you're doing a slavish resto of a chunk of "vintage" gear, and the rest
of the parts are original, I have some .47 Vit. Q's, used, leads ~3/4 inch,
and I can send you one for the cost of shipping. Otherwise, I doubt you'll
hear any diff. substituting an orange drop.
'luck,
-dim