Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Gorging on Sound

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
.. .

The best demos of Ambisonic playback I've heard were in large rooms on the
neutral-to-dead side. I set up one of these in a huge meeting room at NPR
in
DC. It was perfect, in particular the way the image did not collapse
toward
the nearest speaker as you moved around. And the "looking into the concert
hall from the gods' perspective" effect from outside the array was
perfect.
As the room was deadish and had long early reflections, this is strong
evidence that such characteristics are not antithetical to Ambisonic
reproduction. Quite the contrary.

It is possible. Look at the graphic on the cover of Blauert's Spatial
Hearing. They have constructed a hotseat with multiple speakers around it to
simulate the ambience from all important directions. I have heard of this
working in experiments in Philips in Eindhoven as well. Takes about 120
channels.

I'm in no position to gainsay Count Floyd on this particular issue, but I
don't trust his opinion on /anything/. He is not a good scientist.

Whew! What is this all about?

I am trying to prepare some discs for you, but I want to get it right
first so you can report on how I did.

Which I will.

They are in the air to you. Let me know if any questions, or discussion
about compatibility with your setup. I am basing some of my processing on my
playback system, but also setting up my system for most commercial
recordings, so it should be somewhere reasonable. But the next best thing to
comparing various recording techniques on MY system is comparing on various
systems - high quality systems - so let me know.

Will send you some of my blather in an Email.

Gary Eickmeier