Posted to rec.audio.high-end
windcrest

Default WMA lossless or FLAC audio player?

jwvm wrote:
I should have said that I can't use lossy compressed audio, I have no
problems with lossless compression. Much of my tracks I process for
karaoke, and mp3's wipe out the phase relationships that allow the
vocal part to be removed, the center phase is lost even at high bit
rates. IOW I can remove vocals just fine from CD's or wma lossless
files, but that becomes impossible with mp3 or other lossy compression.
I entertain as a dj, karaoke host and solo guitarist with backing
tracks. In general mp3's sound pretty ice-picky through PA systems and
I avoid that format for more than the karaoke issue.

I understand your need for bit-perfect reproduction given that lossy
compression can adversely affect phase.

The problem is that I already ripped a couple thousand CD's to wma
lossless because the quality was so good. I also proved that I can
convert lossless wma back to wav flawlwssly, IOW the original and
converted wav files checksum to each other and are identical, using the
undocumented Microsoft wma lossless to pcm converter utility. I guess
I just assumed that I would one day find a player for wma lossless. In
after thought I probably should have maybe gone with flac as there are
more players for that. As it is now I still have to bring a laptop to
gigs, there are situations where I dont want a laptop and would prefer
a player (like coffee shop gigs where all I need is amp, guitar and
player).

So the ideal player right now would be one that can do wma lossless and
flac (a high-end audiophile player if you will).

I still don't follow your requirement for flac and wma lossless.

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-64...5622801-1.html

--

I have mostle wma lossless files, but also many flac files, wav files
are fine too but they fill up your player fast. So why use wav when I

It appears the high-end audio community and manufacturers are
slow-to-market when it comes to bringing an "audiophile quality"
player. Most of the high-end literature I read is still hooked on
vinyl and 50 pound mono blocks, and thats fine, I like that too, but
its not portable.

My research into high-end audio players shows that the high-end
"audiophiles" are behind the curve in this area. And if lossless
formats do not become more widely "useable" in the new devices, the
high-end market will suffer due to no demand for audiophile lossless
formats. So I came to rec.audio.high-end to find out from the experts
what is available, and it appears there is little in a player that can
play multiple lossless formats. I've been avoiding iPods because they
only support the Apple lossless format. I may in the end have to go
with one of the portable windows media players which can apparently
play 5 or 6 different lossless codecs including apple, flac, and wma,
just like a computer. But they are larger and the op-amps and D/A
converters are really not high-end.

I need the lossless compressed formats for my dj and karaoke work as
lossy compression just does not cut it there, I'm after quality.