Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

Default Opera: Good acoustics with digital piano or bad acoustics withacoustic piano

Scott Dorsey wrote:
David Grant wrote:

But can you really capture the "full sound" of an opera singer up close? I'm
sure that the singer's technical abilities can be captured fairly accurately
in this configuration but I'm not really sure it would sound anything like
what an audition judge would expect it to.

No. If you absolutely HAVE to close mike an opera singer (other than a
soprano or countertenor), try two microphones with one at the chest and
one at the mouth. Exact positions depend on the singer. But it won't
sound right, it'll just sound a little better.

You really want to be in a room where you can pull back 30 feet or so.

If this is an audition recording, both piano and voice must be
recorded simultaneously. The accompanist has a great deal to do with
the final feel of the performance.

What I would do is place the speaker for the digital piano behind the
singer and mic the room.
The digital piano will blend better with the singer and the singer
will be more comfortable with the sound.

Where the pianist is seated is of no consequence with an electronic
instrument and communication lines may be better than if a real piano
were used.

Unless there was no other option (or for sound reinforcement) I would
never close mic an operatic voice. The dynamic range will blow you
away.