Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Opera: Good acoustics with digital piano or bad acoustics with acoustic piano

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
David Grant wrote:
I'm still trying to find the Roland model #.

I doubt that it really matters, particularly if you're going to record a
direct output.

It will matter a great deal to the accompanist. Especially if it is a
cheap plastic key action.

If the only piano sound comes from built-in speakers, it might be
difficult to balance with the singer since it probably doesn't project
like a grand piano. But given that this is a low budget project, all you
can do is try your best with what you have to work with.

But regardless of the *sound* of the instrument, if the keyboard does
not have the classical piano hammer-action "feel", you are placing a
significant hardship on the accompanist. This has the potential of
significantly affecting the performance and the recording.

I would never consider asking a classically-trained pianist/accompanist
to use a twinky cheap plastic keyboard if I expected a decent performance
out of them. Some might be able to accomodate the very different feel,
but I would NOT assume that unless I knew the musician.