Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark1 Mark1 is offline

Default Opera: Good acoustics with digital piano or bad acoustics withacoustic piano

On Dec 10, 9:50*am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:39:35 -0500, "David Grant"

wrote:

This discussion is getting further and further away from supposed
reality (as usual). Can we hear more from the original poster?

Has the singer (or ANY opera singer) ever sung in your living room with
your piano?

No.

Are you an opera fan?

Not like I'm a jazz fan. But I don't mind opera like some people do.

Did you get into this because you're a friend with a piano and some
recording equipment?

I got into it because I recorded a friend's opera recital at a church (which
had good acoustics and a good piano) and one of the other performers
approached me to do this work. A gig that led to another. This church would
be ideal except that it isn't available at a price the singer is willing to
pay.

The submission deadline is very soon and the church with the Roland was all
I could find at the last minute that she would agree to pay for.

What's riding on the audition recording?

I was hesitant to ask that question because I couldn't determine why I
needed to know. Let me guess, knowing the answer might make it obvious that
I need to recommend the singer spend more money on a better venue.

I know that opera singers can be very loud. I also know that rock singers
can be just as loud, and people have recorded then more-or-less
succesfully in poor rooms by using a mic that can take the acoustic level,
placing it close enough so that there isn't a lot of room sound getting
in, setting the preamp gain (maybe using an external pad if necessary) so
it won't clip, and then adding ambience artificially. If the room is
really small and the singer really loud, there may be a problem witl the
singer's room sound getting into the piano mics enough to sound bad, but
there may be a way to control that.

But can you really capture the "full sound" of an opera singer up close? I'm
sure that the singer's technical abilities can be captured fairly accurately
in this configuration but I'm not really sure it would sound anything like
what an audition judge would expect it to.

I'm still trying to find the Roland model #.

There is a lot more to it than simply capturing the sound. She will
sing totally differently in the two venues. In your living room she
will sing "small", while in the church she will be able to sing out
and relax into the reverberation that is coming back at her. If that
is the sound she is after, you really have little choice in the
matter.

d- Hide quoted text -

yep I say it again..

go with whatever allows the singer to give her/his best performance

Mark