Tony Evans

In article . net,
"Simon Customer" wrote:

I wasn't sure how to ask the question, but I'd like to know which of the
wind instruments can change pitch on a constant basis? To explain a
little
better, a trumpet tone can be maintained and the pitch changed by
sliding.
Thus, one goes throughout the different notes without pressing keys.
Well,
how about the clarinet- can pitch be changed without changing keys?

Sorry, I'm a bit new with most musical instruments but I'm looking for
winds
that can change pitch constantly for a special purpose.

Thanks,
Simon

It's possible to slide up or down as much as an octave on a saxophone by
slowly opening/closing keys while doing a hell of a lot of lip work -
takes a good deal of practice to do so. Maybe it can be done on other
reed instruments too, but I haven't tried except on sax.