Ben Bradley

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:03:20 GMT, "Simon Customer"
wrote:

"Carlos Alden" wrote in message
How about using a slide on an electric guitar? You then have a nice

signal
to work with.

Carlos

Sounds interesting. Since I'm new to electric guitars and effects in
general, I wasn't aware of a "slide".

You gotta learn the blues. It was the precursor to much of rock,
sometimes literally (see legal issues involving some early Led Zepplin
songs). If I can whip up a little "folk history" (like folk
etymology), a slide most likely developed from the use of empty booze
bottles (non-empty ones were too valuable to risk breaking) of the old
blues players. While not a true blues song itself, the lyrics to
Lynyrd Skynyrd's "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe" give a bit of the image
of a blues player who would use a slide.

Can you give me a web example link
somewhere where I could see a pic of one?

We could, but that probably wouldn't be the Real Blues. For that
you need to find a street corner, and probably not one on Times
Square.

That may be what I need as the
fingernail and picks produce a tone that seems too chopped up.

You may have to raise the action (the string height from the
fretboard) to play a good slide on an electric guitar. Or maybe you
know a country player who has a steel guitar.

Or as someone else suggested, get a synth with portamento. Problem
solved.

Thanks,
Simon

-----