Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Steven Sullivan

Default The Limits of the LP

Ruud Broens wrote:

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
: Ruud Broens wrote:
:
: "Steven Sullivan" wrote in message
: ...
:
: : ? There's no reason for there to be *audible* artifacts from a good
: : digital recording or transfer. This doesn't mean some bad recordings
haven't
: been
: : made!
: :
: : --
: : -SSS
: : "If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison
(1788)
:
: good example of Science - Sullivan Style - :
: sweeping generalisations and narrow bandpass of knowledge
: now could we have some quantification for that 'science veneer',
: to finish it off, mr Sullivan ?
:
: garbage collector routine
: running..
: R.
:
: I didn't know you were a *garbologist*, Ruud.
:
: My claim wasn't sweeping -- it was qualified with the words
: 'audible' and 'good'. If you wish to learn the technical details
: of what would constitute 'good' digital transfer -- one that would
: not be expected to produce audible artifacts -- I suggest you
: read Nika Aldrich's book, 'Digital Audio Explained for the Audio
: Engineer'. It treats the topic thoroughly, starting from
: the basics of acoustics and the physiology of hearing, up through
: the development of DSD.
:
:

I order to expect, one has to know.

Well, there's 'knowing' things that are true, and 'knowing' things that aren't.

for instance, i'd suspect you not to expect
your blood composition to be influenced by sunspot activity
tiz so, though

And you 'know' this , how?

or, say, the _type of nervecell_ terminating determining the
structural processing hardware that is developed in a brain region
(if we could emulate that, miraculous advances in artificial hearing
and vision await

I've done some work in neuroscience myself, so I think I can
*expect* neuronal architecture to be affected by the neuronal
milieu.

As mentioned before, until a true multidisciplinary approach is taken,
all the 'blameless, good, etc' claims are suspect.

Which disciplines besides psychoacoustics, acoustics, and engineering
do you propose be included to support claims of audible difference?