Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

Default The Limits of the LP

"John Atkinson" wrote
in message
ups.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com

Once again: D'Agostino and Meitner do not (or did not)
think so.

This is a very self-serving belief for them to hold
onto. AFAIK its not based on bias-controlled listening
tests, and its unlikely that they, like say John Curl or
John Atkinson will ever in their lives do a proper
listening test to confirm their beliefs.

A Freudian (or should I say "Nousaineian") slip of Mr.
Krueger's
pen :-) One does't do test to "confirm" one's beliefs, one
does them to find out whether a phenomenon is audible.

Usual Atkinsonian hair-splitting noted.

And
as Mr. Krueger knows (because I listed them for him at the
HE2005 debate) I have taken part in many such tests,
including
ABX testing of absolute polarity, something that prior to
the test I did not believe audible. Scoring 10 correct
out of 10 trials using the ABX box was evidence that my
belief was wrong.

A single trivial test does not disprove the observable rule that John
Atkinson does not in general do DBTs.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile