Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson

Default The Limits of the LP

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com
What I want to know is : is there any evidence that LIVE
music is captured better by digital than analogue master?

Yes.

I don't disagree. See my earlier post on the Mozart recording I
produced.

Once again: D'Agostino and Meitner do not (or did not)
think so.

This is a very self-serving belief for them to hold onto. AFAIK its
not based on bias-controlled listening tests, and its unlikely that
they, like say John Curl or John Atkinson will ever in their lives do
a proper listening test to confirm their beliefs.

A Freudian (or should I say "Nousaineian") slip of Mr. Krueger's
pen :-) One does't do test to "confirm" one's beliefs, one
does them to find out whether a phenomenon is audible. And
as Mr. Krueger knows (because I listed them for him at the
HE2005 debate) I have taken part in many such tests, including
ABX testing of absolute polarity, something that prior to the test I
did not believe audible. Scoring 10 correct out of 10 trials using the
ABX box was evidence that my belief was wrong.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile