Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

Default The Limits of the LP

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MINe 109" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Letsee how many times do we have to explain this to
Jenn? I'm in a generous mood today - I'll cast my pearls
in front of the the swine one more time! ;-)

(1) The CD format is capable of sonically perfect
reproduction of any known audio signal.

Below 20kHz.

greater than 20 KHz isn't really audio for human listeners.

(2) However, there are no known audio signals that
perfectly represent live music.

Gotcha.

Got *everybdy*.

(3) Even though the CD format reproduces *any* audio
signal audibly perfectly, there are no known perfect
audio signals representing live music available to
reproduce.

Below 20kHz,

greater than 20 KHz isn't really audio for human listeners.

and barring technical quibles about filters, jitter, etc.

Only small boys worry about those issues these days.

(4) Therefore the CD format like every other format
including direct feeds from the finest microphones,
cannot perfectly reproduce any example of live music.

Okay.

Huzzah!

Jenn is as usual resorting to debating trade tactics in
order to score points. She's faulting a superior format
for not being able to do the impossible.

My question for you is similar to hers: given the
imperfections of recording, mastering and the cd medium,
what cds would you say do a good job of preserving the
massed string sound of an orchestra?

Answering that question properly would require that I review several 100
hours of recordings.

If I agreed to answer it, it would be about a six months from now before I
would know the answer.

Why?