Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

Default I just am not satisfied

On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 9:54:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 6:01:26 AM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 5/09/2018 9:09 pm, wrote:
I just am not satisfied with the sound from any solid state amplifiers.
I have tried high end home amps and even some top of the line amps made
for commercial use. (Stage equipment).

I miss my old tube system that I had years ago. Those tube amps pumped
out 300W (RMS) and had more actual power than my current 1200W (RMS)
solid state system..

I'd be curious to know which valve amps you had that
could deliver 300 Watts (continuous). 1,200 Watts,
continuous, is impossible, unless you are operating on a
multi-phase power supply.

Not necessarily. let's look at the details.

Now, let's do the same for this hypothetical 1200 watt amp:
assume the same 40% class-AB efficiency, but we need much less
of a power budget for everything else, so consumption from the
supply is 3000 Watts. Assume the same transformer efficiency,
that's 3400 watts. At 120 volts, that's 28 amps at 120 VAC,
a lot to be sure, but it would run fine on a 30 amp. Run it at
240 VAC, that's 14 amps.

Sorry, I got distracted and forgot the other case. The guy
talks about "stage equipment", so we also need to entertain
the possibility that this supposed 1200 watt amp is a switcher,
in which case we're looking at an overall efficiency of 85%,
which means this 1200 watt amp is pulling, at peak, 1400 watts
from the wall. At 120 VAC, that's a bit under 12 amps, and would
run fine on a 15 amp circuit.

Look at it another way, it's like running a 1.25 HP vs a 4 HP motor
under load: at 220 VAC, you don't need multi-phase power (well,
multi-phase would help startup, but that's not so much of an
issue with an amplifier).

And in the switcher case, that's less than 2 HP.