Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Audible Difference Between Monitors

On 5/29/2019 4:10 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Neil wrote:
604s had serious limitations with regard to broad-spectrum reproduction,
as you've discovered. That doesn't mean that they weren't useful for
their intended purpose (I saw them used for voice-overs most of the
time). Had you heard the thumping feet, mechanical noises and squeaky
chairs, your options to correct for them would have been limited, as well.

Not at all! I have gaffer's tape and foam to fix all of those problems!

That's the thing about audio.... the sooner in the chain you can correct
something, the easier it is. Stuff that would have taken a minute at the
tracking session can take a week to fix in mastering. Monitors exist to
let you know what is going on so you can fix it.
--scott

I agree with what you've written about the fixes. The difference in our
approach is that I didn't rely on monitors to expose those problems...I
stood in the room near the instruments while determining things like mic
position.

--
best regards,

Neil